Friday, October 24, 2008

10 Reasons Why my (83) Year Old Ma ROCKS

I'm visting my ma in Montreal and every time I'm here, I realize how awesome she is ...

1) I was supposed to come last week with my son - but she was still wandering SOMEWHERE in Europe- yeah, none of us knew WHERE - she was supposed to be home on the 2nd or 3rd October and NO idea where she was ... my sisters and I calling each other from country to country... her and her best friend were LOST - her best friend's kids calling from Ireland, us calling from Canada and the States - our mums RAN AWAY!! I want to run away when I am 83 too! Incidentally, they snuck off to the Canary Islands ...

2) She can (and does) drink me under the table - in fact considers me VERY boring as I really don't drink or smoke (and everything else is damn questionable these days too) - I love the fact she's beaten the odds and belts back G&Ts and Scotch and lights up a cigarette, each time assuring me is "going to quit" for sure.

3) Two days ago she forgot her key to get in the house (see No. 1- wandering Europe) - so she found a box, climbed over the fence into the backyard, then pushed the bike up to her bedroom window and climbed in her window - and she doesn't even have a twinge!

4) She spends half her time seeing her "old" ladies - bringing them groceries, bringing them First Communion etc - ALL of them are at least 5 years younger than her ...

5) She was born and bred Irish Catholic and fights with the priest all the time as she thinks women should be able to be priests and priests should be allowed to marry.

6) She talks to Mary (as in Mother of God) as if she is her best friend - and earnestly assures us that if we want somehting, don't ask God or Jesus but "talk to His mother - He can't resist anything she wants".

7) She bribes St. Francis when she loses stuff and calls him a "fecking thief" when he ups the ante ...

8) She still drives around the neighbourhood like a maniac although she is blind in one eye and is NOT a menace ..

9) She decided to grow her hair long at 75 and now it is down to her waist and BEAUTIFUL - she only has a streak of gray in sideburns and one in her bangs... with her hair down, from the back she looks 16.

10) She has been best friends with my "auntie" Carmel since Carmel was 3 and she was 4 and they were sent away to school and they STILL argue about who has the best figure ....

8 comments:

THE Michael said...

....and HOW old are YOU (might I ask?) ?

You are either DAMN good looking for your age or that pic of yours is like 20 years old or your dear old mum had you when she was, like, 55 or something!

Hey, I have damn good genes too, except they don't protect us against smoking..........

selkie said...

grins, the Michael - that is utterly sweet of you to say that - but I'm WELL into my 52nd year! I've never pretended otherwise LOL

selkie said...

and the pic on my blog was taken last Thursday (16 October) - I just had my hair cut!

Angel said...

Any chance at all I could get adopted by your ma, selkie? :)

Your mom sounds cooler than 10 igloos in Nunavut! LOL

And NO WAY are you 52!
My goodness, just what is in your genes, girl??

Angel :)

Soror said...

I love this post and your ma!
I wanna grow up to be her.
Babalons Paeony

aphron said...

You mom is one of those rare individuals that everyone gravitates towards. The world needs more of them.

selkie said...

aphron, you have that right for sure! she is utterly captivating and people flock to her like moths to a flame. My father was a shy, rather introverted man and til the day he died he said he STILL didn't believe she had ever given him the time of day and was astonished at what he termed his amazing good fortune. She was never a particularly beautiful woman but striking and so charistmatic - STILL - my younger sister is JUST like her and a lot of times, Ithink my second daughter will be like both of them - she too has that immense sense of life, kindness, energy and the same way of grasping life and finding amazing things in it.

littleone said...

ok first of all - see me stamp my foot??? you came to town and didn't tell me???? geeeez louise !!!

As for your mom.. she sounds wonderful.. no better than wonderful.. how amazing is that - to be running around Europe giving your kids grey hair !!???

morningstar (owned by Warren)