Saturday, January 24, 2009

for the record...

Thinkin on.....

ONE; I know our Canadian medical system gets lots of darts for real and imagined failures... but damn, we're a lucky country when all is said and done. I spent several hours there this morning with D2, who after several asymptomatic years, had a doozie of an asthma attack... Between Xmas, bills, no overtime due to the worsening economy, money is pretty tight right now. What a luxury that when Ruadhan woke me crying and wheezing, I didn't have to think twice but bundled her into the car and into Emerg at Scarborough General...

There a couple of breathing tests, ventolin masks and 1.5 hours later, we were home. The luxury of not having to worry about whether your child was 'that' sick ... the hearfelt comfort of knowing that while there are lots of places for improvement in our medical system, when all is said and done, compassion and a care for its citizens is a mainstay of our Canadian society.

TWO: I've come to some sort of position on whether Canada should shelter Americans seeking to avoid the Iraq (and other wars) and following a long tradition of escaping to Canada. When I was living in Grand Bahamas, back during the Vietnam era, our house was a haven for sevearl draft dodgers avoiding the war. When we eventually returned to Canada, we had another few boys come through. Difference though? These were DRAFT dodgers. These were NOT men or women who had SIGNED up for the army voluntarily and then when it came time to follow through on their part of the bargain, tried to run away from their responsibilities.

So here's my stand: dodging the draft because you don't believe in the war of the moment? My door is open. Dodging your voluntarily assumed responsiblities as a solider? BACK you go. You signed up. You volunteered. You were happy to take the perks offered by the army, NOW face up to your end of the bargain.

Do I think it easy? Absolutely not. But ultimately, each of us MUST take responsiblity for our own actions.

THREE: While I believe and wholeheartedly support cultural diversity, the buck STOPS when it comes to culture or religion coming up and disagreeing with Canadian LAW - Canadian law MUST and SHOULD prevail, no contest.

FOUR: the new law in Ontario banning smoking in cars with children is yet another erosion of personal rights and pisses me off. Do I think people should smoke in cars wiht children? ABSOLUTELY not. Do I think legislation should be in place to "make" them - NO NO NO. There are many many things out there that are far worse tow which children are exposed - the increasing, insidious creeping of government into our personal spaces MUST be stopped. As Trudeau once said and the concept can be applied to other issues "The State has no place in the bedrooms of the nation"...

3 comments:

Loving Annie said...

Selkie,
Glad that your child was well taken care of, and you didn't have to worry about him not being able to get care.

I would like it if cigarettes/cigars themselves were no longer made, since the manufacturers - and everyone else - is now so clearly aware of the health risks they pose.

Hope that you have a good weekend :)

Buffalo said...

I agree with you almost 100% down the line. The almost falls with refuge for deserters/draft dodgers.

Refuge for deserters even in a conscripted military gives me pause. I would have to look very closely at draft dodgers. When someone runs because of a sincere objection is one thing. Many who run do it because they don't want to serve or they are afraid. I don't want to die for them.

I'm still out on your health care system. I see some advantages and some problems.

selkie said...

Annie- thanks! yes, sometimes it is good to pause and look at what we DO have.

Buff, I know you and i have had this discussion before. The bottom line is I not an advocate of conscription - I just am not. Forcing someone to go to war is ultimately not something I think can benefit anyone - becuase bottom line, could you - a man who fought in a war - REALLY trust that guy beside you who was forced into this to get your back?

I am always fascinated by the American investment in the armed forces - so very different from my Canadian and Irish roots (hell, my history after all, consists of what the British viewed as Irish terrorist relatives and then the Canadian peacekeeping role which we Canadians are so proud of!).

I did have a couple of aunts who served in the British Army during WW2 but never knew them very well so again, I don't have a persepctive on war that isn't imbued with a different outlook.