Friday, February 6, 2009

Carpe diem

See http://seafoamselkie.blogspot.com/2008/09/rage.html

Carpe diem
Memento mori
(Remember you must die)

Because no one knows when the sand runs out for us.

Choices are made – that is the nature of life – even not making a choice is, in itself, a choice. But while perhaps one is making a choice (or not, thus a non-choice), life is occurring elsewhere ... time continues to trickle possibilities like grains of sand into the abyss of possibilities, each granular stream someone else’s reality.

Carpe diem.
Abyssus abyssum invocate
(Hell calls hell; one mistep leads to another)

Because THAT moment, that second, once lived is gone, never to be recaptured nor re-experienced ... and time and the impact of choices that other people make reshape and change the landscape in which one stands, frozen in indecision, unable to commit to a course of action. Remember too, words once uttered, cannot be unsaid.... actions once done, cannot be called back.

Carpe diem.
Acta non verba
(Actions not words)

Because hesitate, allow fear to rule your emotions, entangle you in unbreakable strands of irresolution, stop you from stepping forward into ANY forward, ANY possibility... and the paths are no longer open to you – the vistas you thought immutable waver and disappear, illusions and phantoms of possibilities you chose not to take.

Carpe diem.
Mater memento mori
(Remember your mortality
)

Because despite the philosophies, the concepts, the mythic proportions of some of our fantasies, THIS life, THIS one is all we`ve got, solid, corporeal, touchable, in our reality of mind and thought, ALL we can truly prove.

Carpe diem.

None of us lives in a vacuum. Our choices or our failure to make choices impact on those entwined in our lives. And the passage of time and the constant proximity can lead to a form of blindness, a failure to recognize what is in front of your eyes. More damaging is the insidiousness of not hearing ... of at some level closing your ears to the words being said and interpreting situations in a manner palatable to what one WISHES to hear.

Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes
(It is foolish to fear that which you cannot avoid. (Publilius Syrus))

9 comments:

Buffalo said...

This one moment in time. Use it well.

sweetcopswife said...

Life is NOT a dress rehearsal!
Sometimes there are moments when I am with my husband or kids and I know the moments are so special. I close my eyes, burn the memories as far into my brain as I can because I know in the next instant they are gone...I often think like this...both my husband and I do.

My girls are getting so big, sometimes it looks like they grow over night, and it saddens me...i see tiny lines and wrinkles on what used to be smooth skin and I panic...life is so precious, live it wisely!

M:e said...

Fascinating posting lovely one.......I would always urge anyone to 'sieze the day'....for it can never be recaptured.

love and hugs xxx

selkie said...

Buff- exactly.

sweets - good on you girl - you have it - those moments are SO fleeting ... I see my children growing up and away form me (as they should) and the passing of time is bittersweet indeed.

M:e - thank you dearest friend - and you're right and in your zest for life that you show in your own writings, I think you have a true understanding of those words.

Fu Manchu Dad said...

So true for all of us, yet so well displayed to those of us who have kids. You see the moments of your past replayed as they go through their own similar events, you want to impress upon them the importance of all these days when things can be carefree and how that all goes away. Yet you try to teach them the important things, the heavy things they must know to comport themselves as they go through their adult lives and you want to strike a balance, so that they don't become overburdened by duty, yet also want them to become worthy human adults. Wrangling that task is my seizing of the day, as it is also my duty. It is my calling.
I am the Fu Manchu Dad.

Res firma mitescere nescit.

(not applicable, but the only latin I really know)

FMD

Loving Annie said...

Beautiful post, Selkie... So wise. I should read it every morning and every night...

Can I copy it if I give you credit and link to your blog ?

selkie said...

of COURSE Annie - I would be flattered! Linking is your call, I'm not upset if you don't though - I'm just pleased it spoke to you!

Andrades Girl said...

Hi Selkie:
I have found you thru M:e's blog. Your comments there are beautiful. This post is excellent and a great reminder. I know I shall come here often and read your beautiful words
Take care
AG

selkie said...

Andrades Girl! welcome to my little corner of angst! I visited your blog this morning and look forward to your words as you so beautiful articule your continuing journey!