Sunday, December 6, 2009

I remember ... and the fight continues... we will not stand down


  • Geneviève Bergeron (born 1968), civil engineering student
  • Hélène Colgan (born 1966), mechanical engineering student
  • Nathalie Croteau (born 1966), mechanical engineering student
  • Barbara Daigneault (born 1967), mechanical engineering student
  • Anne-Marie Edward (born 1968), chemical engineering student
  • Maud Haviernick (born 1960), materials engineering student
  • Maryse Laganière (born 1964), budget clerk in the École Polytechnique's finance department
  • Maryse Leclair (born 1966), materials engineering student
  • Anne-Marie Lemay (born 1967), mechanical engineering student
  • Sonia Pelletier (born 1961), mechanical engineering student
  • Michèle Richard (born 1968), materials engineering student
  • Annie St-Arneault (born 1966), mechanical engineering student
  • Annie Turcotte (born 1969), materials engineering student
  • Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz (born 1958), nursing student

9 comments:

Jz said...

wow. I had never heard about this.
I'm stunned.
Thank you for helping them be remembered.

Aurore said...

I was really young when it happened but I remember I couldn't understand why someone would want to just kill women. It scared me and for the first time the world seemed a little less safe to me.

Thank you for posting this.

swan said...

I do remember.
By the time this horrible massacre happened, I'd been "in the trenches" as a declared feminist for about 13 years (give or take a little). I was raising my own son and daughter. I was just about to leave my high-powered, male-dominated career in the oil and gas industry to follow my dream of becoming a teacher.
I knew then, as I have always known that women are at risk in our world. That, while things might have improved slightly, in terms of access to jobs, and financial opportunities, it was and is all very tenuous.
The personal is always political. I'd have never predicted, back in the early 1970's when I was first flexing my feminist muscles, that the day would come when I'd be battling for my right, as a woman, to choose the way I live and love without a patriarchial system telling me what is "allowed."
The battle shifts and changes, but it does go on.
You are right to remind us all. We should be reminded. We should not stand down. Not for ourselves. Not for our daughters. Not for our sons.

swan

Sir J said...

no need to read your links I didn't even have to read the blog, when I saw the title I knew what it was about. Yes we remember and hopefully we learn as well.

ronnie said...

I'd never heard of this so thank you for sharing and remembering.

Love.
Ronnie
xx

greengirl said...

I was only vaguely aware of this so thank you for making it real and explicit. And thank you for including the link about a survivor - fighting back simply by forging ahead and doing.

Angel said...

Two words: École Polytechnique.

So much that comes up in the mind with that and that list of names.

I remember it well.

I was a young Journalism student back then and that story was the most memorable - and heart-breaking - one that I remember covering, during those student days.

cultivateddiscipline said...

I remember, they were my peers. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What was the religion of the murderer? Not something people want to bring up.